Aurora Family Dog Training: Puppy Training
At Aurora Family Dog Training we offer puppy training consultations tailored to your individual dog’s personality and breed. We can get you started on the right path by creating a behavior plan around any or all of the following problems:
- Mouthiness and biting
- Potty training
- Crate Training
- Whining, barking and other unwanted vocalizations
- Socializing your puppy around children, adults and city life
- Socializing your puppy around dogs, cats, and other animals.
As you can see there is plenty to do when training a new puppy! To help you get started here are a few tips from the experts at Aurora Family Dog Training.
Or if you’re ready to bring in the experts, give us a call!
Contact An Aurora Canine Behavior Expert
While this tip applies for dogs of all ages it is especially important to stay consistent when working with puppies. Puppies are constantly learning and taking cues from you if you’re not consistent they’re going to have a much tougher time understanding exactly what you want them to do.
Focus on House Training Early
House training is the first major behavioral project for you and your puppy. to start with you need to keep your puppy on a regular eating schedule and be prepared to take him out for potty breaks as frequently as every 30 minutes. Here are a few other tips to help you get a grip on potty training:
- Take your puppy to the same spot every potty break. This will help them understand why you were taking him outside.
- Praise him or even give him a tiny treat when he uses the bathroom outside. It’s all about positive reinforcement!
- As tempting as it can be to just open the back door and let him run around, you have to look for every opportunity to praise your puppy for using the bathroom outside. In other words, you need to stay with him for as many bathroom breaks as you can.
- Always take your puppy out within 15 minutes after any meal and immediately after exiting his
Socialize Early and Often
Socializing your puppy, or exposing them to new people and experiences, is extremely important and failure to do so will almost certainly lead to problems in adulthood.
While this sounds simple, it can be more challenging than you think. It can also be tough to put your puppy in a situation where you know that they are nervous or scared. The goal is not to overwhelm your puppy or put them in legitimately dangerous situations but instead expose them to new environments, new smells
One of our favorites places to do this is the Home Depot. There are many outdoor areas within Home Depot and they do allow dogs to visit. And of course, there are plenty of smells and sometimes even other dogs!
The most important step towards proper socialization is simply to do it. Remember, the goal is not to overwhelm your puppy or traumatize them but to simply make sure that they’ve had a variety of experiences as they enter adulthood
Aurora Family Dog Training Is Here To Help
We’re here to help. So whether you need us to give you a puppy training plan from A to Z or to give you guidance on your current efforts we can help.